Friday, July 31, 2009

July 11-Second Club Entry

video


It's been a while since I've entered the monthly animation competition at 11-Second Club, but I whipped this up at the last minute (2 days work before the deadline). For those unfamiliar with the rules, everyone uses the same 11-second sound clip and you are free to interpret it any way you choose using any animation medium.
I've been meaning to test out the Sergio rig (available at www.strutyourreel.com) for a while now, and the 3 Stooges soundfile lent itself to his portly presence. Since I needed the "Laurel" counterpoint to Sergio's "Hardy," I headed over to Highend3d to look for tall, skinny-guy puppet rigs. I decided to give Blake a shot. Each of these two free character rigs have their pluses and minuses, but both were perfectly usable for this short routine. I also used the opportunity to build a cartoon scaffold rig using Maya Hair. Aside from the ropes, all other dynamics in the scene are keyframe animation (I determined it would take longer to coax a sim into doing what I wanted than to just keyframe it).
Fun little two-day project.

No comments: